Sunday, November 7, 2010

comment I made on Miss Holly's blog

I don't know why, but sometimes I feel like I express myself better making comments on the blogs of others than I do in my own posts.

This is the reply I made to a post I just read from the Good Golly Miss Holly blog, and my answer was specifically geared towards the statement, "There are so many accidental addicts out there, all seeking solace in calories. How does one break the addiction?"

This was my reply:

"For me it has really been logging everything I eat (even the stuff I'm ashamed of) and trying to make conscious food choices rather than just eating my feelings.


Nov 2nd was the 6th anniversary of my Mom's death and it's the FIRST time I didn't pig out and have an emotional meltdown.


As I've been logging my food choices, I've found my cravings have been easier to deal with and I am measuring and weighing what I eat and have started to re-train my body to realize what proper portion sizes are."

And it's true.

Re-training both my eyes and my stomach has been a challenge to say the least but it seems to be getting easier.

9 times out of 10 I can cut a 30 g portion of cheese, I still weigh it every time but I am getting better at doing it by eye.

When I do buy chocolate, I am consuming it in moderation. In the past, I would eat 1 or 2 chocolate bars in a sitting and later have a half of a big bag of chips.

I would eat an entire package of Cheese Nips instead of having lunch or I'd polish it off as a later in the day snack.

But I am really working on acknowledging my feelings instead of trying to squelch them with food.

No comments:

Post a Comment